WE ARE HAVING A COMP!
What: A Bouldering Competition!
Where: The Pad – San Luis Obispo
When: July 4 – 10am
How: Link to Register is below!
Rules and Competition Info - Please read!
This Red Point bouldering competition takes place on the shorter unroped walls at The Pad – in our bouldering area. The Red Point format provides competitors the option to enter into the correct personal category for themselves.
The categories break down into Male, Female, and Youth.
The Male and Female categories break down further into Beginner V0-V3, Intermediate V4-V6, and Advanced V7+.
Each category will have their own top three winners and prizes, which allows all experience levels to compete to win!
This “competition” is meant to encourage everyone to try their best, be motivated by the amazing climbing community, and (mostly) have fun.
The normal bouldering grading system using V# is traded out during the competition, and replaced with a simple ordering from the easiest route to the hardest route in the competition. Competitors only earn points for climbs that are completed and have two signatures of peers who witnessed the entire ascent.
More points are given the higher the number on the starting hold card is. However, only the top 5 routes each competitor completes is used in totaling their score. All falls must be marked down next to the climb that was attempted, but will only be used to determine ties.
While climbing, nothing besides the specific color holds or walls may be used for assistance. Anything marked by red or black tape is not allowed to be used. All grey volumes are part of the wall and may be used by any and all climbs.
Any questions about the competition can be directed towards the head route setter Josef Maier. He can be reached at the competition, or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The competition starts at 10 AM sharp, and ends at 2pm, giving competitors 4 hours to complete their top five climbs and turn in their scorecard. After the results are announced, the top three Women and the top three Men of the overall competition will compete in an on-sight finals round starting at 3pm.
Red Point Format: 10am – 2pm
Finals round: 3pm – 4pm
Choose the correct category:
Female, Male, Youth
Beginner V0-V2, Intermediate V2-V4, Advanced V4-V6, and Open V7+.
- Starting holds are marked with tags numbered from 1-50.
- The numbers correlate to difficulty and point value, 1 being the easiest & worth the least & 50 being the hardest as well as worth the most points.
- Competitors only earn points for climbs that are completed and have two signatures of peers who witnessed the entire ascent.
- Competitor’s top 5 routes are used in totaling their score.
- All falls must be marked down next to the climb that was attempted, but will only be used to determine ties.
- All grey volumes are a part of the wall and may be used by any and all climbs.
- Anything marked by red or black tape is not allowed to be used.