Now hiring: Crew Support Staff (HEN)
We’re a rock climbing gym looking for Support Crew Staff, which will have an emphasis on community building and working directly to support the front desk staff with birthday parties, small groups, and sometimes events. Support Crew should exude a sense of warmth and be comfortable engaging diverse populations both at the front desk and on the floor. You will be working in a team-centered, dynamic environment with an emphasis on communication.
Experience in climbing isn’t a requirement but it is recommended. This role is primarily focused around managing birthday parties and groups but you may be trained on additional front desk responsibilities as the Crew Manager determines necessary. You will be working with adults and children keeping them safe and facilitating a fun experience. The ability and confidence in wrangling people is a big preference for this role. The minimum you will work is 2-3 hours per week with the possibility of more hours depending on the gym needs.
To build immersive experiences, spaces, and opportunities through climbing, community, fitness, and love
You will be responsible for:
- Facilitating scheduled group climbing sessions including birthday parties and nonprofit group climbs
- Setting up and breaking down tables and chairs for groups
- Encouraging hesitant climbers and make them feel welcome in the space
- Providing belay support
- Giving gym tours and new member orientations
- Cleaning studio space and other areas impacted by groups, birthdays, and anything to help out the front desk
- Stepping into other departments as determined by gym leadership
- Facilitating groups (including birthdays) during scheduled visits
- Setup and cleaning of any spaces used
- Assisting in waivers and taking final payments
- Handing out and helping fit all rental items needed
- Interacting with members and guests to create a friendly and welcoming environment in the facility
- Proactively seek out opportunities to belay guests or members during shifts when not working with groups
- Representing the community and make a genuine effort to create connections that support members, guests, and peers
You will be accountable for:
- Upholding company values and use the mission statement to guide decisions
- Actively seeking new opportunities to improve self and the community at large
- Working as a member of a team, you will interact with other crew members as well as other department teams
- Meeting the standards set by The Pad’s core competencies and actively working towards exceeding the standards
- Communicating with supervisors and peers about gym and your own needs, improvements, and goals
- Checking all communications from your peers and management team on E-Mail and Asana each time you work a shift
- Maintaining dedicated area safety and enforce safety regulations
- Modeling safety regulations while on and off the clock
You will be consulted for:
- Policy development
- Leadership strategy
- Staffing needs
- Community needs
You will be informed about:
- Policy and procedure updates
- Party and event scheduling and processes
- A genuine interest in other people’s experiences
- Ability to communicate clearly with peers and the community
- Experience with speaking to or working in a dynamic environment
- Confidence in standing up to strangers and those you care about when it comes to following rules and upholding the values of the company
- Ability to tie knots and move across uneven surfaces and stairways
- Ability to lift 50 pounds
- Ability to self-manage time and prioritize tasks based on importance
- Lover of learning and a deep interest in improving things for those around them
- Friendly, enthusiastic attitude, can exhibit warmth and empathy
- Tech savvy enough to use and apply a wide variety of applications, including Approach Asana, Gmail, When I work, etc.
- Codeword: sendy
What we have to offer:
- Growth opportunities
- Paid bi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month
- Starting pay $11.25/hr (NV), assuming 0-5 hours per week to start
- Accrued paid time off
- Flexible hours that you control
- Transfer and promotional opportunities
- Gym membership for self plus immediate family
- Retail and merchandise discounts
We are an equal-opportunity employer that welcomes diverse voices and experiences aligned with the vision of our organization: Climbing. Community. Fitness. Love.
Don’t send that resume just yet!
We don’t want your resume, we don’t want your cover letter, and we don’t want phone calls and emails!
Why? We at the Pad feel that the employment process is broken and we want to address these issues and hopefully inspire others to, as well.
Why is it broken?
- Applicants are judged on their ability to make a fancy-looking document
- Applicants are judged on their writing ability when that may not be a requirement of their position
- Applicants are unfairly judged based on their employment history, success in describing it, and even by their own name and location.
- Applicants are encouraged to go above and beyond, reaching out to HR and supervisors, and writing long essays, all of which is an emotional drain on everyone
- Salary, benefits, time expectations, and even physical ability requirements are either omitted or over-inflated.
Our process eliminates this and is designed to test applicants in as little time as possible to see if they will be a good fit. Through our process, we are able to:
- Educate you about the organization you are applying for so you know if it is a good fit or not for you.
- Check for the level of attention to detail we want to see prior to hiring.
- Check for level of readiness for the position
- Show us your personality
- Take a minimum of time and energy for our HR team AND you
Please note – if you send resumes, cover letters, etc without being asked, we will NOT review them.