Do you love working with others to create memories that last a lifetime and develop the confidence to try new things?
How about kids? Could you play endlessly with them?
If so, we want to hear from you!
We’re a rock climbing gym looking for counselors for our summer programs, but what we really want are people who recognize that the right experience could change a life for the better.
The Pad Summer Camps create an engaging, motivating, and safe environment for the next generation of passionate kids to be introduced to the world of climbing. The counselor will act as an ambassador to the community by staffing annual camps for the duration of the summer months, about 10 weeks. There is a potential to offer winter and spring break camps as well.
- Assist youth program director with hiring, training, terminating and most importantly inspire and develop counselors, assistant counselors, and volunteers into world-class mentors and teachers
- Ensure the monthly budget set by the youth program director is being followed and fulfilling the needs of staff, gym, and community
- Check-in each week and help counselors provide fun and engaging activities
- Help find replacements for ill or absent counselors and fill in when staff is not available
- Assist youth program director with scheduling counselors and approving time cards and time off
- Identify individuals for promotion and additional responsibility
- Help coordinate camps around other events and daily routines of the gyms
- Suggest and implement ideas to better serve the community
- Lesson Plans
- Collaborate with counselors to create a structure for teaching kids important skills and facilitating fun
- Lesson plans should include games, climbing technique instruction, group ice breakers, and schedules of each day
- Ensure an appropriate schedule is followed once established.
- Meet with the youth program director to discuss administrative issues, camp events, program development, etc.
- Communicate effectively with other counselors on the team to discuss day-to-day activities and places for improvements
- Keep an up-to-date copy of parent and child email addresses. Communicate with parents one-on-one if their child is performing exceptionally, is having behavioral issues, or needs individual attention.
- Ensure there is follow-through with parents on the following topics: canceled camps, special gym events, and relevant administrative items.
- 1 year minimum experience with customer service, including written (ie email)
- Demonstrated experience as a team player – you will interact with both the staff under you and other program teammates to coordinate activities and gym operations
- 1 year minimum experience in leading a team
- 1 year minimum experience with youth programs related to climbing
- Experience working with all ages of kids, able to understand the unique needs and personal safety requirements of them
- Long history of committed, professional experience
- Be a part of the rock climbing community – we don’t care how hard you climb, but you should have enough experience to speak the lingo, make safety calls (or know who to defer to) and feel confident in training belay certification.
- Lover of learning and a deep interest in improving things for those around them
- Comfortable with confrontation and correction of employees and from supervisors and peers as well as direct communication with administration
- Tech-savvy enough to use and apply a wide variety of applications, including Word, Google Drive, Gmail, and others.
- Able to lift 50 lbs
What we have to offer:
SLO Dates: Camp dates are June 14th – August 13th. Start date for training is June 1st.
Henderson: Camp dates are May 31st – August 6th. Start date for training is May 11th.
Pay rate: Part time/seasonal position. Henderson: $11-12/hr; SLO $14/hr
- 25-30 hours a week
- Paid bi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month
- Accrued paid time off
- Transfer and promotional opportunities
- Gym membership for self plus immediate family
- Retail and merchandise discounts
We are an equal opportunity employer that welcomes diverse voices and experiences aligned with the vision of our organization: Climbing. Community. Fitness. Love.
Applicant for this position should include the code word, which is “Elevate.” You will automatically disqualified if you do not supply the code word.