WE HIRE GOOD PEOPLE
Not a climber? Keep reading - not all positions require climbing experience
Let's talk about what makes The Pad different:
- Our staff sees others, and what they could become if given the ability to succeed. Expect robust training and lots of meetings to help you do this.
- We focus on what we’re good at – community building through rock climbing and supplemental activities.
- We build in extras: free coffee, good wifi, hangout places, and free rentals (always) to make getting into climbing (at least bouldering) barrier-free.
- Accessibility – we strive for 24 hour locations when possible and inclusivity for all people.
- We are not a franchise – we want our core values to be what’s made us successful all along – from the type of people we hire to how our building looks, to reciprocal membership wherever we are.
- No fancy corporate anything – we encourage you to get out into the community, whether it’s a co-working space, a coffee shop, or you’re vanlifing it. We like remote working and then coming together as needed. Zoom on in from a crag – we’ll celebrate it!
- We empower our employees to make changes and improve things. We work to recognize one another and develop core leadership qualities. Our benefits are designed to make you never need to make the choice between us and your family, life, or dreams.
- Paid bi-monthly
- Accrued paid time off
- Flexible hours that you control
- Transfer and promotional opportunities
- Gym membership for self plus immediate family
- Retail and merchandise discounts
We are an equal opportunity employer that welcomes diverse voices and experiences aligned with the vision of our organization: Climbing. Community. Fitness. Love.
You could be the reason they discover something that elevates them beyond their wildest expectations. If that excites you, we want you on our team!
To be who we are, we focus on three things:
- Climbing, and its community, changes lives for the better.
- Do it the best you can or not at all.
- Provide an amazing life for the people who serve the company.
Our goal is that when they’re here, our members feel at home.
We keep facilities clean, beautiful, inclusive, and amenity stacked. Our staff genuinely cares and is curious about each and every person that comes to our gym. We do not proselytize, but we do believe that our mere existence and our listening can bring about a lot of good in the world – and that climbing and community can empower people to bring even more beauty to our communities.
We are here because we relied on other people’s blood, sweat, tears, faith, and money – and we owe it to that legacy to be the best it can be and to serve people with the same feeling and heart that we did when it was a little wood storage unit.
We owe it to those who came before to honor them in our respect for the land, other people, and for the sport itself.
Sound good? We want to hear from you!
Don’t send that resume just yet!
We don’t want your resume, we don’t want your cover letter, and we don’t want phone calls and emails! HERE’S WHY:
We at the Pad feel that the employment process is broken and we want to address these issues and hopefully inspire others to, as well.
Why is it broken?
- Applicants are judged on their ability to make a fancy-looking document
- Applicants are judged on their writing ability when that may not be a requirement of their position
- Applicants are unfairly judged based on their employment history, success in describing it, and even by their own name and location.
- Applicants are encouraged to go above and beyond, reaching out to HR and supervisors, and writing long essays, all of which is an emotional drain on everyone
- Salary, benefits, time expectations, and even physical ability requirements are either omitted or over-inflated.
Our process eliminates that by testing applicants in as little time as possible to see if they will be a good fit:
Our process is designed to:
- Educate you about the organization you are applying for so you know if it is a good fit or not for you.
- Check for the level of attention to detail we want to see prior to hiring.
- Check for level of readiness for the position
- Show us your personality
- Take a minimum of time and energy for our HR team AND you
Please note – if you send resumes, cover letters, etc without being asked, we will NOT review them.
Read below and click on the titles for detailed descriptions and requirements.
None are available now. Check back soon, we’re always growing!
Do you want to get your foot in the door?
Just stoked to be a part of the community and want to help out?
Looking for work experience and think starting out at a climbing gym would rock?
Then the Support Crew may be for you!
- Communicate clearly with peers and the community
- Experience with speaking to or working in a dynamic environment
- Confidence in standing up to strangers and those you care about when it comes to following rules and upholding the values of the company
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Work as a member of a team, you will interact with other crew members as well as other department teams
- Friendly, enthusiastic attitude, can exhibit warmth and empathy
- Tech savvy enough to use and apply a wide variety of applications, including Word, Google Drive, Gmail, and Asana
- Uphold company values and use the mission statement to guide decisions
Ensure setting staff has clean holds for future sets, use of a pressure washer is required for cleaning
Maintain a clean work environment and make sure you have time to set up and clean up your spaces while you are on the clock
Step in to help other departments as needed and determined by Head Setter
- Deep clean floors/mats in high traffic areas and social spaces including the lounge and the studio spaces
- Vacuum rope and training areas that are carpeted
- Dry mop slackline, bouldering pads, and training areas
- Wash inside and outside windows
- Assist facilities manager in handyman tasks in gym
- Ensure gym equipment is functioning
- Maintain gym cleanliness through assigned tasks
- Conduct deep cleans on machines and equipment as needed
- Looking for Monday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday 830am-1030am
- Facilitate scheduled group climbing sessions including birthday parties and nonprofit group climbs
- Set up and break down tables and chairs for groups
- Encourage hesitant climbers and make them feel welcome in the space
- Provide belay support
- Step into other departments as determined by gym leadership
Routesetters – Want to set for us? Here’s a message from our setting director:
- 4+ years experience climbing
- 1+ years of setting experience
- Knowledge of rope systems such as jugging, hauling, leading/belaying and rappelling.
- Able to climb 5.12 & V7+
- Comfort with working at heights
- Flexible Schedule
- Extremely Motivated
- Detail Oriented
- Team Player