What's a Green Business?
San Luis Obispo
A few of you may have noticed the little green sticker at the front of the Pad SLO. Here’s what that means:
In 2019, The Pad SLO underwent a rigorous program to become certified as a Green Business. That sticker represents our efforts.
As a greenbiz, we stand alongside 32 other businesses in SLO county who have chosen to subject their organizations to external scrutiny of our environmental impact and how we can lessen our negative impact on the earth. We were evaluated based on seven pillars, including but not limited to wastewater, pollution prevention, and energy. We took steps to become more sustainable in all of these areas.
We will have to undergo the recertification process again next year (2023) to keep our Greenbiz status. Not only is continuing to do our part to uphold the standards of environmental consciousness that we met in 2019 good for the earth, it will also make the recertification process that much easier.
Not only is The Pad Henderson officially a certified green business, but we’re the first gym in the entire state of Nevada to achieve this status! We are committed to protecting our environment and are proud to be a part of the Nevada Green Business Network.
The Pad believes in being the best we can be, including pushing ourselves toward renewable resources, reducing waste, and making it easy to carpool or ride your bike to work or to enjoy the gym. We source locally whenever possible (we’re so thrilled that our PadFam merchandise is now being made right here in Las Vegas), offer water bottle filling stations, are going solar, participate in energy and water reduction measures, and repurpose waste like rental shoes, holds, and more to new homes and upcycle whenever possible.
What are we doing to create more sustainable business practices?
- Turn off all faucets, lights, ovens, and appliances when not in use, bathrooms and shared spaces have been fitted with sensors so that they will shut off automatically when not in use
- Insulating buildings whenever possible
- Keep air vents free of office supplies
- Unplug personal electronics once charging is complete
- Utilize power strips
- Maintain refrigerator efficiency by keeping evaporator coils free of excessive frost and condenser coils free of dust
- Utilized all advanced energy saving technology possible
- Installation of solar panels whenever possible
Preventing Unnecessary Pollution
- Use non-toxic cleaning supplies where applicable, ASPEN for crew cleaning
- Recycle spent batteries, lightbulbs, and E waste in the proper container
Reducing, Reusing, and Recycling
- Dispose of bottles, cans, and paper in the blue recycling bins
- Place used toner cartridges and dead batteries in office bin for drop-off at proper facility
- Report issues to the Facilities Manager
- Set computer default to print double-sided
- Bring your own reusable water bottle/mugs to work, encourage use of the water bottle filler on the drinking fountains instead of buying single use plastics
- Use reusable silverware, mugs, and other dishes in breakroom
Buy in bulk when possible (sugar, tea, coffee, cleaning supplies, etc)
- Always double check for items that can be used for events before buying new ones, consider borrowing or buying second hand
- Employees are encouraged to walk, bike, or carpool to get to work
- No idling
- Remote work encouraged and supported for those who do not need to be on location
Water and Wastewater
- Report any leaky faucets to Facilities Manager
Our Green Goals
- Become a leader in the community for green operating processes
- Reduce our overall carbon footprint by 35% in the next five years