Now hiring: Crew Manager (HEN)
We hire awesome people. Are you one of them?
We’re a rock climbing gym looking for a Crew Manager at our Henderson, NV location. Climbing can change lives, on and off the walls. Our managers lead by example, are willing to help out across programs and departments, and have a sense of warmth and empathy when making decisions. Our Crew Manager works specifically with our Front Desk crew to ensure they have everything they need to serve our community.
Experience in climbing isn’t a requirement but it is highly recommended. How hard you climb is not a factor in your job, but you should have enough experience to speak the lingo, make safety calls, be familiar with gear and equipment, and be confident in your ability to learn and adapt. Above all else, you need to have a strong desire to be part of The Pad community.
To build immersive experiences, spaces, and opportunities through climbing, community, fitness, and love
- You will be responsible for:
Providing resources, training, and guidance for members of the crew in the moment, as well as through 1-on-1 meetings and team meetings
- Leading the crew in being key members of creating and maintaining the community by working directly in the gym as determined by the needs of the business
- Providing excellent customer service for new members and guests of the gym and ensuring our orientations give our members a sense of autonomy when they use our spaces
- Promoting the gym’s services in conjunction with other leadership through marketing goals and actions to meet sales goals
- Ensuring cash handling policies are being followed, making regular bank deposits
- Advising other gym management regarding any staff or member issues related to overall gym operations and attending HQ meetings to relay these topics and weigh in on policy changes
- Assisting in overseeing the Stock and Inventory crew and helping them with any of their duties as needed, and collaborating with other coordinators and department managers as necessary
You will be accountable for:
- Actions and decisions made by the Front Desk Crew
- Cleanliness of designated areas as determined by Operations
- Scheduling shifts and oversight of Front Desk Crew payroll to fit the needs of the business and supporting front desk crew by working during busy times or filling in for staff when they are out of town, reaching out for coverage in other departments
- Communicating any news, program updates, and policy changes with front desk crew
- Ensuring front desk staff has all the resources and tools they need to fulfill their duties and providing the needed coaching when they fall short of expectations
- Providing a sense of teamwork and camaraderie within own team, as well as to the organization as a whole
- Filling shifts when they are understaffed or due to call-ins
- Communicating with your supervisor about the desired schedule or time off
- Checking and replying to all communications via Email and Asana each time you work
- Completing initial training board via Asana within 30 days of hire
You will be consulted for:
- Any events being planned that need front desk crew involvement
- New products being brought into the gym
- Departments needing assistance with their teams or workload, including feedback on hiring, onboarding, and potential cross-training and promotions
- Policy changes affecting any Front Desk Crew or overall operations of the gym and its facilities
- Training processes and updates
- New programs being added to the schedule
You will be informed about:
- News and updates from the Chief Business Developer
- Policy and process updates
- Scheduled events in the gym
- Training procedures as they apply to your crew members
- Can demonstrate a genuine interest in other people’s experiences and motivations
- Able to learn and execute all front desk tasks, covering front desk and mastering skills needed to train others and advocate for processes
- Flexibility in your schedule to cover understaffed shifts or call-ins
- Ability to lead and manage a team of diverse individuals and speak to their coaching and learning styles
- Communicate clearly and proactively with peers, management, and the community
- Able to tie knots and move across uneven surfaces and stairways
- Friendly, enthusiastic attitude, can exude warmth and empathy
- Tech savvy enough to use and apply a wide variety of applications, including When I Work, Google Drive and the Google Suite, E-mail, Approach, and Asana
- Confidence in standing up to strangers and those you care about when it comes to following rules
- Uphold company values and use the mission statement to guide decisions
- Love of learning and a deep interest in improving things for those around them
- Friendly, enthusiastic attitude, can exhibit warmth and empathy
- Codeword: Pivot
What we have to offer:
- Growth opportunities
- Paid bi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month
- $32,500-$38,400 /year, assuming 30-40 hours per week to start and depending on experience
- Benefits available:
- Wellness (self-care) credit $100/month
- Unlimited Vacation time as long as all tasks are completed and all responsibilities are taken care of in advance
- Transfer and promotional opportunities
- Gym membership for self plus immediate family
- Retail and merchandise discounts
- Ability to set the tone for the Pad Climbing community in Henderson
We are an equal-opportunity employer that welcomes and seeks diverse voices and experiences aligned with the vision of our organization: Climbing. Community. Fitness. Love.
Don’t send that resume just yet!
We don’t want your resume, we don’t want your cover letter, and we don’t want phone calls and emails!
Why? We at The Pad feel that the employment process is broken and we want to address these issues and hopefully inspire others to, as well.
Why is it broken?
- Applicants are judged on their ability to make a fancy-looking document
- Applicants are judged on their writing ability when that may not be a requirement of their position
- Applicants are unfairly judged based on their employment history, success in describing it, and even by their own name and location.
- Applicants are encouraged to go above and beyond, reaching out to HR and supervisors, and writing long essays, all of which is an emotional drain on everyone
- Salary, benefits, time expectations, and even physical ability requirements are either omitted or over-inflated.
Our process eliminates this and is designed to test applicants in as little time as possible to see if they will be a good fit. Through our process, we are able to:
- Educate you about the organization you are applying for so you know if it is a good fit or not for you.
- Check for the level of attention to detail we want to see prior to hiring.
- Check for level of readiness for the position
- Show us your personality
- Take a minimum of time and energy for our HR team AND you
Please note – if you send resumes, cover letters, etc without being asked, we will NOT review them.