Now hiring: Nurture Program Head Coach
We hire awesome people. Are you one of them?
We’re a rock climbing gym looking for a Head Coach for our Nurture Program, but what we really want are people who recognize that stepping into our communities has the power to change lives. Coaches should exude a sense of warmth and be comfortable engaging diverse populations on our teams and on the floor. You will be the face of our gyms and be working in a team-centered, dynamic environment.
We are a gym founded by outdoor climbers and we believe in getting outside to climb just as much as we believe in the indoor gym community. How hard you climb is not a factor in your job, but you should have enough experience to speak the lingo, make safety calls, be familiar with gear and equipment, and be confident in your ability to learn and adapt. Above all else, you need to have a strong desire to be part of The Pad community.
To build immersive experiences, spaces, and opportunities through climbing, community, fitness, and love.
You will be responsible for:
- Facilitate and lead group activities for 2-6 year-olds and their caregivers
- Collaborate with coaches to create a structure for training and facilitating the Nurture Program with respect to their abilities and developmental stages
- Meet with the Program Director to discuss administrative issues, program development, etc.
- Communicate with parents one-on-one if their climber is performing exceptionally, is having behavioral issues, or needs individual attention, and keeping up to date rosters to manage communication
- Maintain and clean up any equipment or activities
- Act as a representative of the community and make a genuine effort to get to know and support members and fellow employees
- Implement instructional programs as determined by Program Director, improving the course work and your teaching ability through feedback from youth families and your supervisor
You will be accountable for:
- Handle parent and team member concerns, ensuring additional coaches follow through with parents regarding canceled practices, changes to schedule and any other relevant administrative items
- Help children to develop growth, learning, and independence through the program
- Maintain safe practices in the facility
- Keep team practice sessions at the gym organized and productive
- Confidently communicate with supervisors and peers about gym and your own needs, improvements, and goals
- Assist Program Director with hiring, training, terminating and most importantly inspiring and developing coaches, assistant coaches, and substitute coaches into world-class mentors and teachers
- Your availability for scheduled practices and finding a sub if you can’t make it.
- You will contact your peers first, then your supervisor to ensure your responsibility is covered
- Proper clocking in and out using When I Work procedures
- Check and reply to all communications via Email and Asana each time you work
- Complete initial training board via Asana within 30 days of hire
You will be consulted for:
- Policy development and leadership strategy
- Staffing and community needs
- Space usage as it affects your position
- Curriculum and program development
- Promotions and additional responsibilities for your staff members
You will be informed about:
- Policy and procedure updates
- Curriculum and scheduling changes
- Changes to the facility-specific to your position
- Genuine interest in other people’s experiences
- Experience and comfort working with young children
- Communicate clearly with peers and the community
- Experience with speaking to or working in a dynamic environment
- Confidence in standing up to strangers and those you care about when it comes to following rules and upholding the values of the company
- Able to tie knots and move across uneven surfaces and stairways
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Work as a member of a team, you will interact with other crew members as well as other department teams
- Lover of learning and a deep interest in improving things for those around them
- Friendly, enthusiastic attitude, can exhibit warmth and empathy
- Tech savvy enough to use and apply a wide variety of applications, including When I Work, Google Drive and the Google Suite, E-mail, Approach, and Asana
- Actively seek new opportunities to improve self and the community at large
- Uphold company values and use the mission statement to guide decisions
- Codeword: crawl
What we have to offer:
- Growth opportunities
- Paid bi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month
- $15.50-17.50 /hour, assuming 15-20 hours per week to start, opportunity for more hours possible
- Accrued paid time off
- Transfer and promotional opportunities
- Gym membership for self plus immediate family
- Retail and merchandise discounts
We are an equal opportunity employer that welcomes and seeks diverse voices and experiences aligned with the vision of our organization: Climbing. Community. Fitness. Love.
Don’t send that resume just yet!
We don’t want your resume, we don’t want your cover letter, and we don’t want phone calls and emails!
Why? We at The Pad feel that the employment process is broken and we want to address these issues and hopefully inspire others to, as well.
Why is it broken?
- Applicants are judged on their ability to make a fancy-looking document
- Applicants are judged on their writing ability when that may not be a requirement of their position
- Applicants are unfairly judged based on their employment history, success in describing it, and even by their own name and location.
- Applicants are encouraged to go above and beyond, reaching out to HR and supervisors, and writing long essays, all of which is an emotional drain on everyone
- Salary, benefits, time expectations, and even physical ability requirements are either omitted or over-inflated.
Our process eliminates this and is designed to test applicants in as little time as possible to see if they will be a good fit. Through our process, we are able to:
- Educate you about the organization you are applying for so you know if it is a good fit or not for you.
- Check for the level of attention to detail we want to see prior to hiring.
- Check for level of readiness for the position
- Show us your personality
- Take a minimum of time and energy for our HR team AND you
Please note – if you send resumes, cover letters, etc without being asked, we will NOT review them.