Now hiring: Youth Program Assistant Coach (Competitive Team)
We hire awesome people. Are you one of them?
We’re a rock climbing gym looking for a Youth Program Assistant Coach – Competitive Teams at our San Luis Obispo, CA location. But what we really want are people who recognize that stepping into our communities has the power to change lives. Coaches do not need to be peppy and upbeat 100% of the day, but they should exude a sense of warmth and be comfortable engaging diverse populations while coaching. You will be working in a team-centered, dynamic environment.
We are a gym founded by outdoor climbers and we believe in getting outside to climb just as much as we believe in the indoor gym community. How hard you climb is not a factor in your job, but you should have enough experience to speak the lingo, make safety calls, be familiar with gear and equipment, and be confident in your ability to learn and adapt. Above all else you need to have a strong desire to be part of The Pad community.
To build immersive experiences, spaces, and opportunities through climbing, community, fitness, and love
You will be responsible for:
- Facilitating and leading drills, workouts and training sessions for a serious and older group of children
- Collaborating with head coach to create a structure for training and facilitating the youth teams with respect to each team’s training standards
- Following through with plans that should include climbing technique instruction, strength development, group climbing sessions, and activities that develop the team for future competitions
- Communicating effectively with other coaches on the team to discuss day-to-day activities and places for improvements
- Providing a safe and welcoming environment for climbers to grow and learn
- Keeping team practice sessions at the gym organized and productive
- Clean and break down of any equipment or activities
- Teach proper technique with equipment and rules around the gym
- Working with your supervisor and outside resources to achieve the intended results as outlined in program descriptions
- Working as a member of a team, you will interact with other crew members as well as other department teams
You will be accountable for:
- Executing curriculum as set by Head Coach
- Communicating potential changes to program as needed with management
- Helping encourage climbers to set personal goals
- Acting as a guide to children and parents on proper etiquette in the gym
- Your availability for scheduled practices, and finding a sub should you need one at the last minute. You will contact your peers first, then your supervisor to ensure your responsibility is covered
- Acting as a representative of the community and make a genuine effort to get to know and support members and fellow employees
- Communicating with the Program Manager about desired schedule or time off
- Properly clocking in and out using When I work
- Checking and replying to all communications via Email and Asana each time you work
- Completing initial training board via Asana within 30 days of hire
You will be consulted for:
- Policy development and leadership strategy
- Staffing and community needs
- Space usage as it pertains to your program
You will be informed about:
- Policy and procedure updates
- Expansion updates
- Curriculum and scheduling changes
- Changes to the facility that will affect your program
- Genuine interest in other people’s experiences
- Ability to hear and speak clearly
- Experience with speaking to diverse individuals
- Confidence in standing up to strangers and those you care about when it comes to following rules
- Ability to tie knots and move across uneven surfaces and stairways
- Lift 50 pounds without assistance
- Lover of learning and a deep interest in improving things for those around them
- Friendly, enthusiastic attitude, can exhibit warmth and empathy
- Uphold company values and use the mission statement to guide decisions
- Code Word: tennessee
What we have to offer:
- Growth opportunities
- Paid bi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month
- $15.50/hour, assuming 10-20 hours per week to start
- Accrued paid time off
- Flexible hours that you control
- Transfer and promotional opportunities
- Gym membership for self plus immediate family
- Retail and merchandise discounts
We are an equal-opportunity employer that welcomes diverse voices and experiences aligned with the vision of our organization: Climbing. Community. Fitness. Love.
Don’t send that resume just yet!
We don’t want your resume, we don’t want your cover letter, and we don’t want phone calls and emails!
Why? We at the Pad feel that the employment process is broken and we want to address these issues and hopefully inspire others to, as well.
Why is it broken?
- Applicants are judged on their ability to make a fancy-looking document
- Applicants are judged on their writing ability when that may not be a requirement of their position
- Applicants are unfairly judged based on their employment history, success in describing it, and even by their own name and location.
- Applicants are encouraged to go above and beyond, reaching out to HR and supervisors, and writing long essays, all of which is an emotional drain on everyone
- Salary, benefits, time expectations, and even physical ability requirements are either omitted or over-inflated.
Our process eliminates this and is designed to test applicants in as little time as possible to see if they will be a good fit. Through our process, we are able to:
- Educate you about the organization you are applying for so you know if it is a good fit or not for you.
- Check for the level of attention to detail we want to see prior to hiring.
- Check for level of readiness for the position
- Show us your personality
- Take a minimum of time and energy for our HR team AND you
Please note – if you send resumes, cover letters, etc without being asked, we will NOT review them.