Toddler Program Youth Coach – SLO
We’re a rock climbing gym looking for an assistant coach, but what we really want are people who recognize that stepping into our communities has the power to change lives. Coaches do not need to be peppy and upbeat 100% of the day, but they should exude a sense of warmth and be comfortable engaging diverse populations while coaching. You will be working in a team-centered, dynamic environment.
Experience in climbing is a requirement, and above all else you need to have a strong desire to be part of The Pad community. Upon hire, coaches will be required to follow through with training expectations and facilitate classes with an energetic and positive attitude. We don’t care how hard you climb, but you should have enough experience to speak the lingo, make safety calls (or know who to defer to) and feel confident in training new young climbers. Experience climbing outside a major plus – we’re a gym run by people who climb outside and we like the culture that brings.
To build immersive experiences, spaces, and opportunities through climbing, community, fitness, and love.
Here’s a typical workload:
- Facilitate and lead group activities for 2-6 year olds and their caregiver
- Identify individuals for promotion and additional responsibility
- Collaborate with coaches to create a structure for training and facilitating the youth teams with respect to each team’s training standards
- Meet with the youth program manager to discuss administrative issues, team events, program development, etc.
- Maintain an up-to-date copy of parent and climber email addresses. Communicate with parents one-on-one if their climber is performing exceptionally, is having behavioral issues, or needs individual attention.
- Clean and break down of any equipment or activities
- Properly clock in and out
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Handle parent and team member concerns, ensure each team’s coach follows through with parents on the following topics: canceled practices, special team events, and relevant administrative items.
- Help children to develop growth, development and independence
- Maintain safe practices in facility
- Keep team practice sessions at the gym organized and productive
- Act as a representative of the community and make a genuine effort to get to know and support members and fellow employees
- Confidently communicate with supervisors and peers about gym and your own needs, improvements, and goals
- Implement instructional programs as determined by Youth Programs department leaders, improving the course work and your teaching ability through feedback with youth families and your supervisor
- Assist youth program manager with hiring, training, terminating and most importantly inspire and develop coaches, assistant coaches, and substitute coaches into world-class mentors and teachers
- Be available for your scheduled practices, and should you need a last minute sub, you will contact your peers first, then your supervisor to ensure your responsibility is covered
- Genuine interest in other people’s experiences
- Desire to work with young children and their parents/caregivers
- Communicate clearly with peers and the community
- Experience with speaking to or working in a dynamic environment
- Confidence in standing up to strangers and those you care about when it comes to following rules and upholding the values of the company
- Able to tie knots and move across uneven surfaces and stairways
- Able to lift 50 pounds
- Work as a member of a team, you will interact with other crew members as well as other department teams
- Lover of learning and a deep interest in improving things for those around them
- Code word to apply: crawl
- Friendly, enthusiastic attitude, can exhibit warmth and empathy
- Tech savvy enough to use and apply a wide variety of applications, including Word, Google Drive, Gmail, and Asana
- Actively seek new opportunities to improve self and the community at large
- Uphold company values and use the mission statement to guide decisions
What we have to offer:
- Growth opportunities
- Holiday closures
- Paid bi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month
- Accrued paid time off
- Transfer and promotional opportunities
- Gym membership for self plus immediate family
- Retail and merchandise discounts
If you’re adaptable, have a positive outlook, and love learning and improving, we want to hear from you!
We are an equal opportunity employer that welcomes diverse voices and experiences aligned with the vision of our organization: Climbing. Community. Fitness. Love.