Do you love working with others to create memories that last a lifetime and develop the confidence to try new things?
How about kids? Could you play endlessly with them?
If so, we want to hear from you!
We’re a rock climbing gym looking for a Camp Counselor, but what we really want are people who recognize that stepping into our communities has the power to change lives.
Counselors do not need to be peppy and upbeat 100% of the day, but they should exude a sense of warmth and be comfortable engaging diverse populations while coaching. You will be working in a team-centered, dynamic environment.
Experience in climbing isn’t a requirement but it is recommended. We are a gym founded by outdoor climbers and we believe in getting outside to climb just as much as we believe in the indoor gym community. How hard you climb is not a factor in your job, but you should have enough experience to speak the lingo, make safety calls, be familiar with gear and equipment, and be confident in your ability to learn and adapt.
Above all else you need to have a strong desire to be part of The Pad community.
To build immersive experiences, spaces, and opportunities through climbing, community, fitness, and love.
Here is a typical workload:
- Facilitate and support group activities for a variety of ages and abilities, ranging between 6-16 year olds
- Collaborate with Head Counselor to create a structure for teaching kids important skills and facilitating fun
- Follow through with plans that should include games, climbing technique instruction, group ice breakers, and schedules for each day
- Provide a safe and welcoming environment for climbers to grow and learn
- Set up games, and day to day operations
- Communicate with the Youth Program Manager about desired schedule or time off
- Clean and break down of any equipment or activities and all spaces used
- Properly clock in and out and check your personal Asana for communication and tasks
- Teach proper technique, how to use equipment, gym rules, and safety
- Execute curriculum as set by Head Counselor
- Work with supervisor and other resources to achieve the intended results as outlined in program descriptions
- Act as a guide to children and parents on proper etiquette in the gym
- Be available for your scheduled times and find coverage if you cannot make it
- Act as a representative of the community and make a genuine effort to get to know and support members and fellow employees
- Communicate effectively with other counselors on the team to discuss day-to-day activities and any needs for improvements
- Communicate in a respectful and clear way with all parents and guardians
- Genuine interest in other people’s experiences
- Confidence enforcing rules and taking charge of dangerous situations
- Ability to tie knots and move across uneven surfaces and stairways
- Lift 50 pounds without assistance
- Work as a member of a team, you will interact with other crew members as well as other department teams
- Codeword: summer
- Lover of learning and a deep interest in improving things for those around them
- Friendly, enthusiastic attitude, can exhibit warmth and empathy
- Uphold company values and use the mission statement to guide decisions
- WFR, CPR, or other medical certifications are a plus but not required
What we have to offer:
- Pay rate: Part time/seasonal position. Henderson: $12/hr; SLO $15/hr
- Paid bi-monthly on the 15th and last day of the month
- Accrued paid time off
- Transfer and promotional opportunities
- Gym membership for self plus immediate family
- Retail and merchandise discounts
We are an equal opportunity employer that welcomes diverse voices and experiences aligned with the vision of our organization: Climbing. Community. Fitness. Love.
Applicant for this position should include the code word, which is “summer.” You will automatically disqualified if you do not supply the code word.